Vilnius University is situated to the West of Daukanto Square and takes up a whole block in the Old Town between Sv. Jono, Skapo and Universiteto streets. The buildings are a collection of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Classical styles. The campus is arranged around twelve closed courtyards. The most prominent features of the Great Courtyard are the tallest Church of St John the Baptist and St John the Evangelist (XIV – XVIII centuries) and the tallest bell tower.
Vilnius University is one of the oldest universities in Eastern Europe. The University started from a Collegium, which was established by the Order of the Jesuits who came to Lithuania to fight against the spreading Reformation. In 1579, Stephen Bathory, the elected King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, conferred on the status of university. The Library of the University, established in 1570, stores especially rich collections of old and rare publications, first printed books and maps.
Information for visitors:
Universiteto St. 3
Tel.: +370 5 268 7298, +370 5 268 7103 (library)
Admission: adults – 5 Lt; pupils, students – 1 Lt.
Tours at the University Library are available on weekdays from 9:00 to 15:00 in Lithuanian, English, French, Russian and Polish. Prices: Adults – 12 Lt; pupils, students – 4 Lt.